Get to know our awesome coach.
- USAT Certified Coach – Level 2 and Youth/Junior
- USAC Certified Coach – Level 3
Derek has a wide variety of coaching experience of all types of athletes, from beginners to para-athletes to professionals, both locally in San Diego and nationwide. Working with every athlete’s needs, he develops highly individualized and manageable training plans across all distances and disciplines of triathlon, swimming, cycling and running.
- Team Captain & Assistant Coach of U.S. Naval Academy Triathlon Team – 2009 Collegiate National Champions
- Qualified Athletes to: USAT Professional Qualification, U.S. Age Group Nationals, World Age Group Championships, USAC Cat 1 Cyclist
- Led athletes to be selected to: U.S. Para-Olympic Development Team, USAT World Age Group Championships Team, U.S. Armed Forces National Team, US Military Endurance Sports Elite Team, Regional and Local Elite Teams
- Current 14-year professional triathlon career on top of 4 years of amateur racing.
- Highest elite rankings achieved: USA – 8th, World – 115th
- Elected USA Triathlon Project 2016 Member
- Multiple Worlds Elite and U23 Team Member
- U.S. Armed Forces National Champion
- Collegiate National Individual Runner-up
- Pennsylvania State Swimming Champion