Get to know our awesome coaches.
- USAT Certified Coach – Level 2
- USAC Certified Coach – Level 3
Derek has a wide variety of coaching experience of all types of athletes, from beginners to para-athletes to professionals, both locally in San Diego and nationwide. Working with every athlete’s needs, he develops highly individualized and manageable training plans across all distances and disciplines of triathlon, swimming, cycling and running.
- Team Captain & Assistant Coach of U.S. Naval Academy Triathlon Team – 2009 Collegiate National Champions
- Qualified Athletes to: USAT Professional Qualification, U.S. Age Group Nationals, World Age Group Championships
- Selected Athletes to: U.S. Para-Olympic Development Team, USAT World Age Group Championships Team, U.S. Armed Forces National Team, US Military Endurance Sports Elite Team, Regional and Local Elite Teams
- Current 12-year professional triathlon career on top of 4 years of amateur racing.
- Highest elite rankings achieved: USA – 8th, World – 115th
- Elected USA Triathlon Project 2016 Member
- Multiple Worlds Elite and U23 Team Member
- U.S. Armed Forces National Champion
- Collegiate National Individual Runner-up
- Pennsylvania State Swimming Champion
- 10 years head coach of Eastlake High School Swim & Dive
- USAT Certified Coach – Level 1
Bryan started his coaching career at the young age of 19 as an assistant swim coach at La Jolla High School. A short 3 years later Bryan took over as head swim coach at Eastlake High School where he spent more than a decade growing a failing program of 15 kids to a perennial powerhouse consisting of 130 kids every year. On the side Bryan has helped triathletes who struggled with their swim and has fallen in love with all of the nuances of the sport.
- Coach of the Year 6 years straight
- 18 high school All-Americans
- Every high school record was set and broken during Bryan’s tenure as coach
- Coached the 8th fastest women’s relay in California
- Married the perfect woman
- I’ll work on more of these later.